Do you ever have that one dish that when you eat it, it is pure comfort? This meat sauce is my dish, I don't care if it is paired with broccoli or over fresh pasta, it hits the spot every time and gives me a warm happy feeling inside!
My dads mom was amazing and of course Italian, she had a red sauce that I grew up eating because my mom also made it. I remember taking big chunks of bread and sneaking mouth full of bubbly red sauce when my mom wasn't looking. The memories that come with this dish are always the best; family dinners just the five of us, big Christmas Eve dinners, rainy cold nights snuggled in, and of course Sunday dinners as family.
Normally old family recipes always make people feel over whelmed, but this truly is the easiest recipe, it takes under an hour to make the sauce ( which if you know how long it was always told to us to cook it, you would know this is a record!) and the noodles are prepped ahead of time( kitchen aid spiralizer to the rescue!)
This sauce does contain ground beef, but omit it if necessary and it will still taste amazing! You will never guess the secret to this sauce and making it into the family legend that it is!
1 lb ground beef, turkey, pork or omit if not eating meat
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1 white onion diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon chopped basil
1 tablespoon chopped oregano
pinch of salt and pepper
1 carrot whole
1. Take the diced onion, garlic, and a little oil and sauce in a big pot until translucent
2. Add in the ground meat and brown
3. add in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, sauce, and paste and stir together and let simmer for 10 minutes
4. add in the herbs and salt and pepper and the whole carrot. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Before storing or serving take out the big carrot ( the carrot takes out all of the acidity to give a smooth finish to the sauce)