Sunday is here, and we have so many wonderful intentions to make home cooked meals each night, making sure they are balanced and filled with proteins and greens...but then the week gets the best of us and we are standing in the line at Sweet Greens or grabbing an early bird special at Whole Foods. Now there is nothing wrong with either of those dinners, however they get expensive and to be honest nothing is better than a home cooked meal after a day at the office. Tyler and I both LOVE roasted chicken but it gets expensive to keep buying roasted chickens at the supermarket. After a little bit of research, and a big rummage through our spice rack, I decided to take a crack at roasting our own chicken....in the crock pot.
The crock pot is what makes this chicken so easy...prep your chicken the night before, and then just turn it on for 6-8 hours before you leave for work. When you get back your home will be smelling like you slaved away all day long for this meal!
Oh and did I mention that this Delicious liquid can be strained and then used the next day for a fantastic crock pot soup?? What is better than a 2 for 1 meal?!
1 small whole chicken
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 diced carrot
1/2 diced white onion
1 diced celery stalk
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon creole seasoning
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon parsley
salt and pepper
1. Chop up your carrot, celery stalk, and white onion. Place them in the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Take all of your spices and put them into a bowl and lightly whisk until well combined.
3. Take your chicken, gently wash it, and place it on top of the veggies. Rub your EVOO over the skin ( makes it nice and crispy).
4. Add your spices, patting onto the skin of the chicken and then place the lid on top and set the cook time for anywhere from 6-8 hours!
5. Come home, make my roasted vegetables, and then ENJOY!