As a little girl, one of my all time favorite treats was eating a graham cracker with a smear of peanut butter on it. As an adult I still love this special treat, and often now pair it with strawberries at night for a little pre bed snack!
Now normally I live by the rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" and this can certainly be applied to these little perfect golden nuggets. However, after taking a closer look at the ingredients list on said treat, I noticed a reoccurring theme. I COULD NOT pronounce almost any of the ingredients.
I have been making a promise to myself that I would no longer be looking at the calories of items, but rather the ingredients that are going into by body...so imagine my surprise and sadness when I realized that I was not following my set out plan.
***Insert new, cleaner version of graham crackers here*** I thought about the ingredients in a graham cracker, the basics, and knew I could put my twist on it!
2 cups super fine almond flour
2/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons melted ghee( or butter)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1. take the almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix all dry ingredients together until completed combined.
2. Add in the egg, molasses, ghee, and vanilla extract. Stir and fold in with a spoon until well combined. Take a baking sheet and lay a piece of parchment paper over it. place dough on the paper and place another piece of parchment on top.
3. Roll the dough out until it is 1/8 of an inch thick and a rectangular shape.
4. using a pizza cutter or a long knife. Cut into squares. You can make fork marks to act as holes for an authentic graham cracker.
5. Back at 325 for 20 minutes. Take crackers out and break along the cut lines. Separate and put back into oven, turn the oven off after those 20 minutes and keep the crackers in the oven to crisp up!
Store in an air tight container or freeze for up to 3 months!